Saturday 15 October 2011

being an online freelancer

I suck at part time work.

You see, I am the type of person who goes through life according to the 'correct phase'. I don't skip stages, nor go back a phase (or two). For example, I went togradeschool, high school and college during my correct biological age (no hiccups along the way because after all, I walk the straight and narrow haha). Then after graduation, I found employment first before I had my first boyfriend (as I was supposed to). I promptly followed it up with a heartbreak, a job abroad etc etc.

The point is, I do one thing or experience one thing at a time. But I never multitask. Even when I was scraping by during college financially, I was too timid toenter part time jobs like teaching and tutoring or even becoming a fast foodstaff. I could have (and I really should have, on hindsight) but I didn't. 

Because I feared I would totally suck at it.

So now it is quite funny that at the ripe old age of 30, I am trying to do an online part time job.  And if my first try is any indication, I think this one is bound for a colossal fail.

I recently joined this freelance website where it offered jobs up for bidding.The jobs can range from some technical coding to tutoring online to being a desk assistant. I am not quite sure how reliable this site is but I have signed up for a few writing assignments (website content and research), basically tasks which I felt would fit in better with my schedule. And just for experience, I also signed up for the menial tasks like copy typing and data entry.

As expected, it was easier to secure jobs for the latter two. The first one I totally gave up on because I was to copy some words on a jpeg image and type it on word. Before I saw the image, I was like 'heck ya, I can do that!'. Once I saw a sample though, my brain just went into its own panic room and refused to come out. The image was a paper filled with single spaced paragraphs just bursting with words. I mean seriously, someone actually writes like that? Even an encyclopaedia seems less daunting. And I was given 3 such images to 'test my skill'. I retracted my bid.

The second one was data entry. I didn't really have any expectations at this point. But it was rather amusing to discover that the job involved typing captcha characters. And that I would be paid less than a dollar for 10000 captcha correctly inputted. Less than a friggin dollar! Wow.

I got discouraged from my experience so far. But maybe part time is like this.

And I still have a lot of other bids and hopefully they would work out fine. I will keep you guys updated. Ta-ta for now. Have to go back to my day job that actually pays me more than a dollar. :{

No comments:

Post a Comment