Wednesday 12 October 2011

Not being Que Sera Sera anymore

I used to think I would be working in the corporate world until they can legally kick me out. Never mind that I've always been warned about being in the rat race, that Oprah always preaches the passion philosophy or that I attended an entrepreneurial-leaning management course in college. I felt (and still feel) that I don't have the "business genes" or enough money to run my own business. Or even be talented enough to sell something and run my own business. So I simply surrendered to a corporate (albeit not a high flying one) life.

First, I think it was History Channel, I saw this documentary regarding the founders of Tom & Jerry ice cream. These were two men who knew nothing about food or ice cream (at least it wasn't showing initially in their resume of many talents). These were just men who wanted to do a business about something and were going about systematically checking which was the most achievable one.

Second, this year I had my baby. And as much as I loved my work, I realized that there are ways to be able to earn and still own your time so I can spend it with the people most important to me. Plus with future plans of having another one, hubby and I prefer that at least one of us is at home watching the help watch over the kids. All those youtube videos give me the heebeejeebeez in leaving my baby at home with some paid stranger.  

This triggered my earnest search for a job, a business, anything where I could still pull in my financial weight but be at home.  This search (via google mostly. hahaha) led me to a vast network of like-minded women who by choice or by circumstance are WAHMs. And enjoying it too! Some of my friends have joined in as well with careers ranging from event management, to online BPOs and online stores.

Of course, I still like working now. And the change won't be overnight. But now I have a goal in mind. I'm playing with a few ideas (ok a lot of ideas, the machine gun theory that I have to hit a jackpot at some point!) which I will document in this blog in the hopes that it will help someone out there with the same dream that I have. (and please don't hesitate to give me ideas too. I am soooo open to them).

So now join me as I attempt to juggle family, work and online work(s). hahaha. 


No comments:

Post a Comment